Hare Hill House, Littleborough Kevin-Waterhouse

Historical Hare Hill House

Historical Hare Hill House

Historical Hare Hill House

The historical Hare Hill House is a Georgian House built by the Newall family during the later half of the 18th Century. It has a fascinating history and significant artefacts. The house was gifted to the people of Littleborough by the Newall family and is now cared for by a team of dedicated volunteers.

Newall Family

Historical Hare Hill House was originally part of an estate owned by the Newall family of Littleborough. Their main residence was Town House. In 1876 Hare Hill House was settled on H.G.F. Newall when he married. In 1901 the property with its grounds was purchased by Littleborough Urban District Council for a ‘perpetual yearly payment’ of £323.19s 8d.

Now, the house is managed by a local community group, the Friends of Hare Hill Park. Rochdale Library has a branch at the house. Details of opening times etc can be found here. As well as a library, it hosts various group activities such as craft, art and some U3A groups.

You can read more info on the history of the Newall family here

Town House itself is still in existence and more can be read about its history on the Littleborough’s History site here.

Hare Hill House is set in Hare Hill Park, formerly part of the grounds of the house and now a Green Flag park with several Grad II listed features. There is a programme of events throughout the year. Details of upcoming events can be found on the Friends of Hare Hill Park Facebook page.

Hare Hill Park was created in the Victorian era and sits snugly in the very heart of the Littleborough community.

There’s a range of facilities at Hare Hill Park, including:

  • Formal gardens

  • Fixed play areas

  • Skateboard park

  • Toddlers’ play area

  • Sports pitch area

  • Bowling greens

  • Historical features, including a listed water wheel and the bandstand

  • Town library and information centre, formerly Hare Hill House

  • Guide dogs allowed

Council-run bowling greens close each year from 30 September until 1 April while we complete winter maintenance work.

 

Share the Post:


Related Posts

Join Our Newsletter